Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dear Ani,

I hope this letter finds you happy and well. I have the house to myself for the first time in more than a week. People think I am a stay at home mom with kids in school, and so what do I do all day. Not so. Gary has lots of days off and Wes is living back home and they are big and older and still take a lot of my time and attention. So today... this, this is nice. So very nice and peaceful!

Oh Ani, you will find great joy in yeast. There is something therapeutic about kneading dough, especially punching it down. If I've gone a while without doing it, and I get back at it for the first time, I kid you not, I will have flour up to my elbows and sticky doughy fingers and I'll be smiling to myself and thinking, 'I've missed this!' I would love to share my roll recipe but I think you should also (and maybe first) try mom's cinnamon rolls. I heard a study once that said that man's favorite smell is cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. I asked Gary what he thought of that and he agrees. And really, your friend situation can be fixed with cinnamon rolls. You know the saying that has something to do with catching more flies with honey? There could be a similar saying that involved catching more friends with cinnamon rolls. Or maybe even preventing friends from moving with cinnamon rolls.

I don't mean to make light of your plight but it's alright to excite and delight in the moonlight with a bite of a cinnamon roll. Tonight.

I kid! I kid!!

I know it's hard. I've been there. I went from 10 years ago leaving some really great and genuine friends, to making great friends in Georgia only to have the best of them move. It's been very strange for me. I don't know if it's the hurt or my age, but I don't have friends like I did and I am A-okay with it. I've discovered that I don't need them on the level or in the way I did. And I've also discovered that my best friend all along has been Gary. Not just because that's who it is suppose to be. But in the true best friend sense of that's who I would rather hang out with the most. He gets me the most. He understands the most. He's by far the most loyal and I trust him the most. And he's not moving anywhere. He better not anyways!! But that may come from hurt from past friends but it really may be my age. Or both. I realize that may not help you though. But do know that I understand and it is hard and hurtful.

If you could only move closer to home. You and I already have the telephone conversations down, if we just had the 'let's do lunch' thing happening, eh?

But ohme ohmy, the adventures we could go on.....

I will look for my dinner roll recipe and see if I can't get it to you soon. I hope you find joy in bread making as much as I do.

I must be off.

I love you sister!
Lorinda

No comments:

Post a Comment