Friday, October 30, 2009

My dearest Wittle Sister,

How are you today? Less funky, I hope.

I just saw my husband off, he's gone hunting. Or as they say in theses here part, hun'in'. He hunts deer and I truly struggle with it. Deer are beautiful and peaceful. Why can't he hunt chickens and cows? Then again, if I start thinking about it too deeply, I want to become a vegetarian. Then again if I thinking about it deeplier, I want to become a Chef and Chef's have to cook all sorts of meats. Then it comes to, what's the difference between deer or chicken? Oh mercy me, I really do struggle with it all. But do you know that he knows this, and that I've made very super clear that I won't be cooking any deer meat and do you know what he did his last hun'in' trip? He got a deer, didn't tell me (but I heard through the grape vine before he came home) and tried to sneak into the house with what he later said is a tenderloin. He walked right past me, holding it in the opposite hand that was facing me, holding still and against himself, and went and put it in the freezer! Like I couldn't see! Then several days later I made a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin (so good!) and he said, "Arlis said that's how he cooks the venison tenderloin, wraps it in bacon just like this." He's totally trying to weasel his way into converting me! After 20 years of me saying no, he's STILL trying!

Oh, that man. He is something!

I enjoyed The Secret Life of Bee's and have I yet expressed my jealousy of your Book Club? I really wish I belonged to one. I love to discuss books. My favorite part in The Secret Life of Bee's was this-

"There is just one thing I don't get," I said.
"What's that?"
"How come if your favorite color is blue, you painted your house so pink?"
She laughed. "That was May's doing. She was with me the day I went to the paint store to pick out the color. I had a nice tan color in mind, but May latched on to this sample called Caribbean Pink. She said it made her feel like dancing a Spanish flamenco. I thought, 'Well, this is the tackiest color I've ever seen, and we'll have half the town talking about us, but if it can lift May's heart like that, I guess I ought to live inside it.' "
"All this time I just figured you liked pink," I said.
She laughed again, "You know some things don't matter much, Lily. Like the color of a house. How big is that in the over-all scheme of life? But lifting a person's heart- now, that matters. The whole problem is-"
"They don't know what matters and what doesn't," I said, filling in her sentence and feeling proud of myself for doing so.
"I was gonna say, the problem is they know what matters, but they don't choose it. You know how hard that is, Lily? I love May, but it was still so hard to choose Caribbean Pink. The hardest thing on earth is choosing what matters."

I thought that was just..... sweet. And that I could really learn from it. I fret about the small things and can (definitely!) put it before some one's feelings. I really need to work on that.

I can't wait to see little JT the chicken. And I will share pictures with you too. Hope he has an enjoyable Halloween. You are just getting started in the motherhood adventure and it won't be long before my kids are too old for trick-or-treating. Oh, that's too sad for me to think about.

Thanks for the Pumpkin Fluff recipe. I can't wait to try it.

Forever,
Lorinda

No comments:

Post a Comment